Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Flat Jane Austen in Bath (or is it...?) : Part 2

Flat Jane Austen in ... Bath? (Or is it?) Part 2


Editor's note: Once again Providence stands in for Bath. Jane WILL visit Providence soon, I promise! For now, enjoy the pictures of the parks and trails and library in the more suburban part of Providence. Jane's letters have been transcribed for clarity by Flat Susanna's 3D counterpart. 

My dearest friends, 
Farmers must bring their produce to market. 'Tis early in the season greens and flowers. There are tempting buns and pastries tho'. Do they sell Bath buns? The farmers also sell meat, dairy, honey, jams, apothecary salves, lotions, and potions made in stillrooms and - oddly enough - biscuits for dogs. Pug Bertram would be most pleased.
Yours,
Jane


I see French pastries, German pastries and English bread


Dear friends,
I visited the apothecary for some herbs for a tisane as we haven't a garden here in Bath. 
Sincerely yours,
Jane
Farmacy Herbs, Providence, RI 

A lion guards the apothecary



My dearest friends,

Today I took a trip to the circulating library. Imagine my astonishment at seeing my own name in print! I wished for my name not to appear on my books. It looks as if someone has ignored my wishes. There also seem to be some books professing to be my journals! How can this be? I am perplexed.


Jane's own novels


Jane Austen mysteries by Stephanie Barron


Next day- The circulating library played host to a musical event. I listened to a band play what appears to be Jewish music. (Klezmer music). 'Tis different from our usual orchestras but not all together displeasing. I rather enjoyed it. However, the event promised a food wagon with Jewish deli food and another with sweet treats. No food was forthcoming. I had so looked forward to disordering my stomach with [cup]cake[s]. This was most displeasing. I chuckled to myself as I thought about what Lady Catherine would say. 

Yours, 

Jane

Library


 Yarmulkazi

editor's note: Yarmulkazi, based out of Brown University, performs European Jewish folk songs, both original songs and traditional. Food trucks were promised and not delivered. The originator of the food truck, the horse-drawn lunch wagon, was started in Providence in 1872.

No comments:

Post a Comment