Monday, May 9, 2022

A Visit With Flat Jane Austen

 Dear friends,

I am bored. It has been snowing, raining and windy almost all the time. I longed for more adventures. I made myself flat so I could travel. Along the way I made a new friend, Jane Austen! Yes THAT Jane Austen. The writer of those silly books my guardian and her friends like. Jane is quite the amusing companion. I will let her narrate her own adventures!




"My dear friends,
While promenading along the Royal Crescent in Bath I met the most charming and delightful child, Miss Susanna Allin. Miss Allin is a visitor from the colonies, I mean the former colonies in America. She is visiting with her family from Rhode Island. I shall endeavor to show them around this wretched city. 
Yours very affectionately, Jane




My dearest friends,
I am still here in Bath. I take tea at the Upper Assembly Rooms with some new friends, Miss Jane Austen (I am unsure why she thinks she is me) and Miss Felicity Merriman, visiting from the colony of Virginia and the year 1774. 
I danced the night away at the Upper Assembly Rooms. Nothing more to write.
Yours ever, Jane


Dearest friends,
Miss Susanna Allin and I read in a lovely garden. The tulips are in bloom and a riot of color. (editor's note: With thanks to Colonial Williamsburg for the calendar images). Susanna is unfamiliar with the works of "A Lady." I shall introduce her to them and see what she thinks without telling her she is reading them with the author. How droll it will be to gather her reactions. 
With love to you all,
Jane




My dear friends,

Today I practice amateur theatricals of the plays of William Shakespeare. We can not help but dissolve into fits of laughter. How shall I ever keep a straight face? Perhaps these theatricals will never be publicly performed. 

Yours, Jane



postscript: For some reason, two of these young ladies share the same name as myself.


Editor's note: Flat Jane Austen came almost all the way across the country from JASNA Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho. We are pleased to host her in New England. Thank you for allowing Flat Jane to visit us!

No comments:

Post a Comment