Friday, November 15, 2019

A Visit to Felicity's Williamsburg Part 1: Introduction to Williamsburg

A Visit to Felicity's Williamsburg



Good day! I am writing to you from the 1770s in Williamsburg, Virginia. 'Tis evening and I have just finished spending a lovely visit with my dear friend Felicity.

Felicity's House (Bush-Everard)
                                   
Felicity's Chamber

Come follow me as I walk home around the Palace Green.

Felicity's Father has over 1 acre of property here in town. Behind me is the brick kitchen, smokehouse, chicken coop and fattening shed (in case your bird isn't fat enough when you want to eat him).
I try to get some water from the well but the bucket is too heavy!

Mr. Merriman's outbuildings
                                       

Rose cooks in the brick kitchen to keep fire, heat and smells away from the house.



I head down the Palace Green. It's a beautiful evening for a walk.

Governor's Palace behind me
                                             

Can you see me?
I'm right here sitting on the railing
                                                     

Susanna poses in front of a small brick house belonging to Miss Manderly
                                         
This is my teacher, Miss Manderly's house. Single women and widows have control of their own lives. They can be teachers, tavern keepers and dressmakers.

As the sun sets people light candles in their windows.

Good evening from the Palace Green and Duke of Gloucester Street


The fires are lit to show my way.

This is a beautiful garden 

 If you'd like to see more of my evening walk, (click on the words) follow me

*Susanna's guardian was trying out a new, fancy camera as we walked.





1 comment:

  1. Susanna! These are great photos. Williamsburg looks so pretty at twilight. I am so glad you came to visit. We need to not let so much time pass next time!

    I miss you!

    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete