Saturday, November 23, 2019

A Visit to Felicity's Williamsburg Day 3: Books, Medicine, and Chocolate

Moving on after Patrick Henry...

I hear some sheep in the distance. I go to find them at the jail where they are mowing the grass.

Susanna with Leicester Longwool sheep in the distance
                                     
I want something new to read. I visit the printer to see what books are being printed now.

Susanna finds a little alphabet book at the printer's
                                                     
I can purchase my book at a store and have it bound at the bindery.
At the bindery choosing a cover for a new book

The still-fragrant bushes are making me cough and sneeze. I head to the apothecary for some licorice lozenges for my cough. The Apothecary also says I can apply lavender to my skin for stress and if I have a fever, he prescribes willow bark. If my father has heart problems the Apothecary will make medicine from a pretty, purple (poisonous) plant called Foxglove.

Susanna and the giant mortar and pestle
                                     
Remember when Felicity broke her arm at the fair? (Felicity Takes a Dare) The surgeon puts icky creatures called leeches on her arm to bring down the swelling. He puts her arm in a leather splint. I think this is a leg splint for a grown man.
At the Apothecary with the surgeon
The surgeon also hacks off limbs and other body parts! That is so gross!

Apothecary's office with human skeleton

I'm still cold. I head to Charlton's Coffeehouse for a tour and some hot, spicy chocolate. Mr. Charlton has all the latest furnishings from England and a curiosity cabinet. In the cabinet Mr. Charlton has some bones from small animals like fish, some porcupine quills and a skull.

Cabinet of Curiosities skulls, bones and quills

The chocolate tastes warm and delicious on a cold day. It's made with water as so not to disorder anyone's stomach, but if you have fine cash or ready credit Mr. Charlton will add a little something extra. I think this means he'll make it into a grown-up drink.

Sipping hot chocolate at Charlton's Coffeehouse


While I sip my chocolate I participate in some fine conversation. A news sheet prints topics for discussion for people to talk about at home or in the taverns and coffeehouses. We discuss whether it is proper to save old love letters.

Yes? No? Sometimes?  Don't you want to see where you once where and how you've changed? If your love has died, don't you want to remember them? Don't you want your family to read them in the future and see what your relationship was like? What if your second husband doesn't like it? But. what if you have children with your first husband? There isn't a right or wrong answer. What do you think?

Back outside for a walk before dinner.

That yellow carriage looks familiar
     I stop to rest on a bench and take in the fall colors.

Can you see me?


Relaxing on a crisp fall afternoon

Pray, excuse me, I have one more stop to make before returning home. Follow me and you may come as well.



                                                 



No comments:

Post a Comment