Saturday, July 23, 2022

Flat Jane Austen in Providence, Rhode Island

 Flat Jane Austen in Providence, Rhode Island:
A Visit to the Circulating Library 
(and a peek into the future)

Back upstairs [1914 addition] I spy a map showing the English origins of the first settlers in Providence. I am pleased to see Hampshire represented, altho' rather surprised as Hampshire is not noted for dissenters. Nicholas Easton. Who was he? 





I peruse the shelves to learn more about the history of Rhode Island. Goodness this will take forever! Who knew there were so many books on this place? I certainly had never heard of it til now. Nicholas Easton  (1593-1675) was assistant to the governor and president of the four towns of the colony in Newport; a minister and Quaker! 




I find a quiet spot to sit and read on the mezzanine level I find myself gazing out the window.


I decided to leave off reading about history and look for a good novel. Should I choose an old favorite? Or something new?

We know Jane read Oliver Goldsmith


and even Tom Jones! 

She was a big fan of Sir Walter Scott but was slightly jealous of his success as a novelist

"Walter Scott has no business to write novels, especially good ones. —It is not fair. —He has Fame and Profit enough as a Poet, and should not be taking the bread out of other people's mouths."

Hmm Something else perhaps?
Turn to page 49 of the self-guided brochure!

Do my eyes deceive me?  No, I see my name of these books. How peculiar! My books have not been published in America, nor have they been published under my own name. 



Why are there books about me? Books about my books? How odd.



Austen biographies



Am I the most famous writer in America? How about of he century? Or in Rhode Island?

No?! Who is? 

This fellow? Edgar Allen Poe... a poet and short story writer. What type of story does he write? Horror? Is that like gothic? "The Telltale Heart", "The Cask of Amontillado", "The Fall of the House of Usher". Is this man deranged? These are all about death! Is his poetry as awful? "Once upon a midnight dreary..." I guess so. 




Who is the lady? His betrothed? Poetess Sarah Helen Whitman? Is she famous? No? This Poe person seems to have come to an untimely end and was lamented by no one aside from Miss Whitman. 


Editor's note: The Ath has reportedly been haunted by Edgar Allen Poe who courted Providence widow and poet Sarah Helen Whitman here in the Athenaeum reading room. They became engaged but her family forced her to break it off with him as he was unable to quit drinking. Poe left Providence and a short time later turned up in Baltimore, dead in the river wearing someone else's clothes. Sarah Helen Whitman sacrificed her own reputation to save his and make him famous. Read their story at the Athenaeum website.

The Athenaeum also boasts a lithograph of Poe's Raven from a painting by the French painter Edouard Manet.

"quoth the raven, 'Nevermore'", 
The "Raven Bookplate" inscribed lithographic print from by French author Stephane Mallarmé to Sarah Helen Whitman, from a French translation of Poe's works illustrated by Edouard Manet

Actually, the most famous writer of all would shock Jane even more- H.P. Lovecraft, writer of weird science fiction, lived in Providence and loved it here. His gravestone is inscribed "I am Providence." 

I must leave off now. I shall try to write again before I leave here. Until then, I am, as always,
Yours,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment