Monday, September 8, 2014

Concord, Massachusetts

Concord Massachusetts

On Saturday I went to Concord, Massachusetts. It's one of my favorite places to visit because Louisa May Alcott lived there. She's my favorite author and I've had the pleasure of meeting her twice. Since I last visited Orchard House not too long ago, we skipped visiting there this time. It looked very crowded. We went down the street to Ralph Waldo Emerson's home. 
Me at Ralph Waldo Emerson's home
H e was a great thinker and writer in the 19th century. He was also one of the founders of the Transcendental Club which formed the basis on the Transcendental movement, of which the Alcotts were a part of. You can read more about that later.

It was TOO hot and too expensive to go inside this time so we made our away across the street to the Concord Museum. (It's modern and air conditioned).

Me in front of the Concord Museum
They even have a replica of Henry David Thoreau's cabin and garden. He was another big thinker and writer of the 19th century. He's best known for going to live in the woods and writing about it.
At Thoreau's house

In Thoreau's garden

The collections share the history of Concord from Indian times to the Revolutionary War, the reform movement of the 19th century and more! They had a fun scavenger hunt for me to do and other children's activities.
Museum scavenger hunt


Our final stop of the day was Sleepy Hollow Cemetery where all the famous Concord authors are buried. I put a pencil on Louisa's grave and wandered around a bit to see the other famous authors. One of my other favorite authors, Margaret Sidney aka Harriet Lothrop is also buried there! Next time I will bring another pencil just for her. I love the Five Little Peppers series.
Laying a pencil on Louisa's grave


You can read more about my trip and see more photos in my photo album
You can read the captions on the regular share album  or view the slideshow:

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susanna!

    I'm so happy that you have a blog! It'll be an excellent way to record your adventures. I looked at your album on Shutterfly, but I couldn't find the captions anymore? Shutterfly made me look at the pictures via slideshow format with no captions on the side? What's up with that? Did they change?

    You're so lucky to visit Concord! I wish I could've gone with you. I miss my home!

    Sophie says it's funny that you wore the same dress on this trip that she wore to Fruitlands, hehe.

    Love,
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Susanna! How cool that you visited Concord! I would love to go sometime. New England is so full of exciting history; you're lucky to live there!

    Love,
    Inky

    ReplyDelete